Doris's Reviews > A River in the Sky

A River in the Sky by Elizabeth Peters

2203514
Mar 12, 12

Read in March, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Fun, lighthearted look at the Egyptologists of the turn of the 20th century, this book deviates a little from Peters' norm, in that the storyline is mostly in Palestine rather than Egypt.

Focusing, as is often the case, on Ramses and his exploits, this book had war looming in the background as the world heated up to "The Great War". Perhaps it was me, but I never quite was able to figure out what was so imperative about the information that needed to be passed on, but overall it was still one of the better stories in this series.

The characters here showed the beginnings of some of the traits that stories set in later years will reflect to their disadvantage (perhaps one could even say dishonor) but as the story was out of sequence in publishing, many readers will recognize the headstrongness of Nefret and the inability of Peabody to allow others to have an opinion that differs from her own. Ramses of course is brilliant but limited, as he does not believe in sharing his worries, but is more approachable than in some of the other stories. Emerson is there, but more as a background than a focal point, a trend that I have seen in many of this storyline.

An easy read, and recommended for a road trip or other venue where you need a distraction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A River in the Sky.