Tracey Demario's Reviews > My Very First Mother Goose

F_50x66
Mar 12, 12

bookshelves: children-s-literature
Read in March, 2012

This anthology of nursery rhymes should be on every newborn’s bookshelf. The over 60 rhymes include old favorites such as “Jack and Jill” and “Hickory Dickory Dock,” as well as some that may be less familiar, such as “Little Jumping Joan.” Most, in fact, are not titled, but there is an Index of First Lines at the end of the book. The book itself is large, but not too heavy for little hands to carry. The text is large and bold, just right for story times. The watercolor paintings by Rosemary Wells are brightly colored, cheerful and complement the text perfectly. Her trademark bunnies are here, as well as pigs, cats, bears and even a few humans. Each one of them flying, dancing, or racing along to the words of the rhyme. Infants and toddlers will find the vibrant colors and happy faces appealing. The book is full of ideas for bouncing rhymes and circle dances for librarians to use with parents during baby and toddler programs, as well as for preschool teachers. My Very First Mother Goose was a 1997 ALA Notable Book for Children and was the recipient of the 1996 Parent’s Choice Gold Award for picture books.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Very First Mother Goose.