Jodi's Reviews > Home Front

Home Front by Kristin Hannah

Mar 12, 12

bookshelves: 2012-read
Read in March, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Jolene has always identified herself as being a Black Hawk pilot. It's as much a part of her identity as being a wife and mother. But when she's deployed to Iraq everything changes. Particularly when her copter is shot down and she has to cope with her injuries which are life changing. Her husband Michael, a successful attorney, has never thought much of his wife's participation in the National Guard. Then he got a pro bono case about a vet who killed his wife and his perspective changed. The novel attempts for both realism and accuracy and I suspect succeeds in both and doesn't gloss over the brutality of war on both the soldier and the families left behind. People die in this book. Good people. There is grief and anger and sadness and meanness and Mom doesn't solve every problem and Dad screws up. At the same time, the book isn't long enough to get into great detail about every issue that develops which is too bad. Hannah touches on the reality that too many of our vets are experiencing and it isn't pretty and there isn't enough help out there. She doesn't give us platitudes about perfectly happy endings either. It's about working toward getting better every day and that's something we can all get behind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home Front.