Erik Graff's Reviews > The First Men in the Moon

The First Men in the Moon by H.G. Wells

Aug 04, 08

bookshelves: sf
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Recommended for: kids
Read in July, 1962

Already devoted to reading all the cheap science fiction paperbacks I could find during the summers, far from any library, the summer of 1962, spent with family in Norway, led me to concentrate on the classics in the field. This was through no startling revelation or assumption of literary virtue on my part. It was simply the result of being in a foreign land where the classics were most commonly available.

The First Men in the Moon was certainly not my favorite Wells novel, but by the time I got to it I was already hooked, intending, if possible, to read all of his novels--which in my ignorance I believed to be exclusively science fiction.

Two years after returning to the States a film adaptation of the novel was released and exhibited at the Pickwick Theatre in downtown Park Ridge. I saw it, enjoyed it, benefitted from having read the novel beforehand, and wish to find an old VHS tape of it someday to see how disappointing it would be now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Men in the Moon.