Shannon's Reviews > Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver

Mar 11, 12

bookshelves: audiobooks
Read in February, 2012

Barbara Kingsolver could probably make the reading of a grocery list entertaining. That said, this book is wonderfully written and flows very well. The authors (the Kingsolver family) narrate the book themselves which I enjoyed- it helped break up the monotony of listening to one person's voice for hours. The book details the authors year-long quest to source as much locally grown produce. Except for coffee and a few other minor necessities as deemed by the authors they stuck to it, growing a wide variety of produce and livestock and sourcing other items like flour from the surrounding area. Oh, they also have a bone to pick with factory farms and all the ills that accompany them. And they sorta think we should all eat meat (as long as it is a free-range organic heritage animal) based on the fact that a few vitamins (namely B12 and iron) come primarily from animal products. I've never been deficient in either and know no other vegetarians that have. I don't agree with their argument but that's ok. I've also applauded those that have the gumption raise and slaughter animals for consumption, and the author did lovingly talk about doing so. Almost makes me want to raise livestock..

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.