Stephanie's Reviews > One Second After

Mar 11, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: apocalypse, high-school, sci-fi

high school & up

On a nice sunny afternoon, all electronics suddenly cease. It takes a few days for it to become clear that EMPs have taken out all of America's infrastructure and most of the government and medical facilities. The town of Black Mountain in North Carolina works together under the leadership of a professor of military history. In the aftermath, the inhabitants must struggle to survive without the luxuries of American life: refrigerated products (such as insulin), daily food shipments, communications and transportation.

The title hints at an apocalypse/disaster type story which you know I love. Reading the back confirmed my guess. I decided to read the book in spite of the foreword by Newt Gingrich. There seemed to be some politics seeping through just a bit. I believe half the author's point is to freak people out about the possibility that our nation shouldn't be worrying about nuclear strikes. We should be worrying about EMPs instead. And the author does indeed get his point across. When I finished I wanted to go through my emergency kit and inventory supplies. All that aside it is a really good story. The characters are interesting and likeable. I teared up several times.
**FYI- if you're a softie for animals like me you're going to seriously dislike two parts but they don't last long.**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Second After.