Ellyce's Reviews > Barely a Lady

Barely a Lady by Eileen Dreyer

Mar 11, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance, read-in-2012
Read in March, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Although I did enjoy this book, I was a bit disappointed. I was led to it by the recommendations of my friends and the rave reviews for it by some of my favorite authors.

I'll admit, it was an exciting change on a romance cliche - Dreyer kept me wondering about the plot the whole while, and it was different from a lot of the typical 'main character has a state of amnesia' books.

I think the big problem that I had with the book was that the hero was shown to be so quick on turning on the heroine - not in the past, but past halfway through the novel, when he overheard the conversation by the society gossips. I know, he's lost his memory, so he should be given a pass, but when he did have amnesia, he was shown to be developing as a character and the hero of the story. For him to just fling accusations at the heroine seemed a bit far-fetched for me. This leads to the other problem I have with the book, which is that the heroine so easily forgave the hero for all the wrongs that he'd committed her, both in the past and the present. She was shown to be fighting this hard, but in the end she all but let him back into her life relatively easily.

What I DID like about the book was the setup for the future relationships in the future books, Dreyer wrote enough to intrigue and for you to really like the secondary characters, but not so that it became distracting and a bit irritating, like is done in Eloisa James' work.

Overall, and alright book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Barely a Lady.