Katy's Reviews > Shadow and Bone

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Mar 11, 2012

Read on March 11, 2012

The summary did NOT do this book justice. I admit I hesitated on starting this book, but it totally blew me away.

Warning: The first few chapters were a beating to get through. The language was very difficult; the scenes were hard to grasps; and I found myself being frustrated because I didn't understand a lot of things like what the Shadow Fold was. But the rest of the book was a smooth ride, and I was flipping through the pages like crazy. So the book is not without its flaws, but not enough to even begin bumping it down in rating.

It's hard to pinpoint what I love so much about this book, but it's right down my alley. I love books with a bit of historical element to it so you have kingdoms and people journeying through the land (yes, on horses and on foot). I guess it's the adventurish feeling associated with those types of books.

I thought Alina was an AMAZING heroine. Yes, she started out pitiful and weak, but she wasn't whiny or irritating. She accepted life for what it was, and she made the best of it. It was wonderful seeing a weak character have some strength to her. Through the book, Alina learns more about herself, trains to harness her power and become a better person, learns to love and tries to overcome the challenges facing her.

And I LOVED the romance in this book. It's really hard to describe without spoiling the book, but I thought it was well written, and the male characters were written perfectly. I think it's always a good sign when the reader sympathizes with the hero as well as the villain.

(view spoiler)

I LOVED this book, and I can't believe it's over and I have to wait for the book to come out and THEN the sequel to come out. I can't wait. Not only do I give it five stars, hands down, but I will also be adding it to my favorites.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow and Bone.

Word Traffic Would you say this is better than Finnikin of the Rock? ;) I'm thinking of reading this book.

Katy Probably not, but it's still pretty good. Not sure how much you would like it since you didn't like Touch of Power. I still think you should still try it though. :)

Word Traffic Thanks. I read a post where Veronica Roth was recommending it, that's why I was interested :)

Katy I think you'll like it, but who knows. :P

message 5: by Ain (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ain I'm gonna give this book a try since it got a shining praise from you.. Hehe..

message 6: by Katy (last edited Jun 05, 2012 09:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Ain wrote: "I'm gonna give this book a try since it got a shining praise from you.. Hehe.."

Personally, I hadn't expected to like it at all, and I ended up thinking it was pretty great. I can't pinpoint WHY, but I think it was just all the different elements put together that made the big picture so good. I hope you like it as much as I did. Can't wait to see what you think.

message 7: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa uhm okay totally confused. I'm making the new releases list atm and The Gathering Dark (The Grisha #1) is one of them but when i click on your review I end up here. So i guess the book had a title change??

Katy Yeah, I remember something like that, but I'm not sure if it was just for the UK version or for all of them.

message 9: by Sergei (new)

Sergei Franson i want to read this so bad but my local library doesn't have it and non of my local bookstores carry it