jiawei Ong's Reviews > A Lesson Before Dying

A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines

Mar 11, 12

bookshelves: advisory-2011-2012
Read in February, 2012

"Do you know what a myth is, Jefferson?" I asked him. "A myth is an old lie that people believe in. White people believe that they're better then anyone else on earth, and that's a myth. The last thing they ever want is to see a black man stand, and think, and show that common humanity that is in us all. It would destroy their myth. They would no longer gave justification for having made us slaves and keeping us in the condition we are in. As long as none of us stand, they're safe." This is a passage from the novel that has left a deep mark in my mark. I believe it is a myth like that mentioned in the dialogue that disturbs peace. It is a myth like that mentioned in the dialogue that plants disunity in the earth. Myths can be used to separate people. They have impacted the present severely. Thus, we must move on from such destructive myths in order to move a step closer to an utopia. We must not have an obsession.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lesson Before Dying.