Brenda's Reviews > Sixty Acres and a Bride

Sixty Acres and a Bride by Regina Jennings

Mar 11, 2012

Read in March, 2012

When both Rosa Garner and her mother-in-law Louise lose their husbands in a mining accident in Mexico they decide to go back home to the family ranch in Texas. When they arrive they learn that there are back taxes due and the county wants the money in three months. As they make their home on the ranch Rosa works at any job she can find to earn the money, but it looks like it might take a miracle to earn the money in such a short time. As she comes to know the other members of the Garner family she enjoys being part of a close knit family, but when a ruthless neighbor starts making advances toward her she isn't sure what to do, added to that is the fact that she is drawn to Weston Garner a man who takes the responsibility of looking out for his family very seriously, and since Rosa is now a part of the Garner family he intends to help her and Louise as much as he can. Wes is still grieving the loss of his wife five years later, and actually feels guilt for her death. As he gets to know Rosa he starts to feel more than friendship for her, but is determined to keep his distance. Will Rosa and Louise be able to save the ranch, or will Rosa have to leave the place she has come to love?

While this book started out a bit slow for me, it soon picked up and became a book that I couldn't put down.I love historical fiction and the setting of Texas after the civil war was perfect, what made it a bit different was the fact that the heroine was from Mexico. Rosa was such a commendable character, she tried so hard to adapt to her surroundings and wasn't afraid of hard work. She was a christian, and didn't let the prejudiced talk she overheard from some of the church members break her spirit, instead she worked harder to gain acceptance. Weston was someone who wasn't only dealing with grief but he blamed himself for the death of his wife Cora. The author painted such a vivid picture of his first meeting with Rosa that I couldn't help but laugh out loud. I enjoyed the slow building relationship that takes place between him and Rosa. For me this was a book that started out a bit slow but one I hated to see end. Great characters and an interesting plot filled with vivid descriptions, woven with bits of humor and a nice christian theme makes this a fantastic story. I for one will certainly be watching for more from this author!

A complimentary copy of this book was provided by Litfuse in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sixty Acres and a Bride.