Clare Cannon's Reviews > The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict

Jun 29, 12

bookshelves: 08-12yrs, 13-15yrs, favorites
Recommended for: 10 years+
Read from June 23 to 26, 2012

Perhaps even more enjoyable than the Mysterious Benedict Society; I really liked the young Nicholas Benedict and his adventures at a new orphanage. It almost felt like I was back at Hogwarts. There's something captivating about following a new kid at a big, old fashioned school that is part fascinating and part scary, part welcoming and part awe-inspiring. Add to that some down-to-earth friends, some plotting enemies, some ambiguous teachers and some mysterious predecessors (who've planted a treasure) and I'm under the spell.

I really do like Nicholas. In this book he goes from being a good person to becoming an even better person (I cried by the end). I found it impressive that this change was inspired by seeing the striking goodness of a particular adult, and to me this seemed novel for a children's book.

Nicholas also makes 'super intelligence' look like so much fun. You can't help but want to imitate him with his extraordinary memory, his astuteness in observing things and tuning in to detail, and his capacity for detecting what other people need.

There is some realistic friendship development, particularly with one boy who sometimes lacks the courage to stand up for his friend for fear of drawing the attention of the baddies to himself. But once he faces his weakness he is able to overcome it, and the friendship becomes deeper than before.

And the story conveys a profound appreciation for the treasure of books, especially with Nicholas' talent for reading a large one in 10 mins and memorising the entire thing! Don't I wish... www.GoodReadingGuide.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Clare Cannon me too :)

Jayne i haven't read this clare, but now i want to! ;)

Clare Cannon Great Jayne :)

Delanie High Five for Hogwarts!!!

Jayne i did end up reading this, and it was LOVELY :)

message 6: by h cooney (new) - added it

h cooney I liked this one a lot.