Robin Black's Reviews > Shout Her Lovely Name

Shout Her Lovely Name by Natalie Serber

Mar 11, 12

I had the great pleasure of reading SHOUT HER LOVELY NAME pre-publication and it is easily one of my favorite short story collections of recent years. If you look at the quotes on the book's description you'll see my heartfelt rave there - but for here, let me just say that during the day in which I devoured it I literally could not, would not put it down. The title story is an absolute stunner, so raw and so moving I was shocked when I first read it in the journal Hunger Mountain. It just isn't that often that a single story has that kind of impact - an emotional powerhouse complete with humor and tears. And that range is present in all these stories as they examine many kinds of relationships, but most prominently those between daughters and their mothers. I think that what I admire most in Natalie Serber's work the sense of having all the filters stripped away, so there's an uncanny sense of no distance between the characters and the reader, nothing intervening, nothing mediating, nothing in the way. It's just them and you. And it's powerful, powerful stuff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shout Her Lovely Name.