Jeff's Reviews > Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World

Boomerang by Michael Lewis

Mar 11, 12

Read in March, 2012

Fascinating and infuriating vignettes of the financial insanity that started in the early 2000s and culminated in the closest thing to armageddon that I'm hopefully likely to see. Lewis is a great storyteller and from Iceland to Greece, from Germany to California, there is a lot of information that is arranged to entertain and inform.

There are plenty of over-generalizations of cultural character, causes of the malaise tend to be simplified, and there is less reflection on some of the more nefarious aspects of the "innovations" from Wall Street than I would preferred, it is a great (read horrifying) yarn. Think of this more of a disaster travelogue than a solid primer of overview of what really went wrong and who really bent over backwards to cause it (Goldman, Merrill Lynch, JP Morgan...). I really appreciate Lewis telling these stories, though, which help to show that the collapse so complex, random and not random, with a different thread, different story under every grimy rock. A "fun" read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boomerang.