Holly's Reviews > Retribution

Retribution by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Sep 06, 13

bookshelves: 2012, dark-hunter, favorite-authors, para-romance, hot-mess, uncomfortable-not-sexy, review-posted
Read in March, 2012

By far my least favorite book of the series to date.

Good grief I had so many problems with this book, I don't even know where to begin. *deep breath*

****SPOILER WARNINGS****

Add me to the list of people who found themselves wondering if S.K. actually wrote a good portion of this book. Everything from the dialogue to the new character development felt completely flat and emotionless to me. It was almost as if Kenyon wrote a few scenes here and there, and left the majority of the story up to someone else. A prime example: the book's one and only love scene takes place in the front seat of a tiny car while the H/h are being attacked by a plague of wasps. WTF???!!!

While in the end I wound up somewhat liking the character of Jess, I definitely could not drum up an ounce of sympathy for Abigail. Yes, she was lied to and used by the 'family' that raised her. I get that. BUT...that does not change the fact that she went about killing every Dark Hunter that she could get her hands on. And the fact that she was basically forgiven so easily for everything she did? Makes. No. Sense. Especially in the context of the DH world that i knew up to this point. And how about the fact that one minute she is hell bent on killing Jess and hating him with everything she has....and the next she decides she cares deeply about him, and wants to die to protect him and save the world?! Again...WTF?!?

The trademark snarky dialogue that i have come to love and expect in this series was definitely lacking here. But it wasn't for a lack of trying. The problem was that much of the dialogue (snarky or otherwise) came off as forced and at times down-right ridiculous.

As for that hot mess of a train wreck that was the ending? Talk about confusing and convoluted.

Even a cameo (blink and you miss it) by one of my all time fave DH characters Zarek couldn't make me enjoy this story.

While I understand the need to introduce new characters into the Dark Hunter world, I was not impressed with many of the new faces. I will say that i am curious for Ren's story coming up in Time Untime. I just pray that the story line is handled far better than it was here.

The only reason I am giving this 2 instead of 1 star is because of the 'bonus scene' with Ash. This chapter reminded me why i love the series so much, and felt very much like something happening in the DH world (unlike everything else that had occurred throughout the book). I loved the glimpse of remorse that we saw from Artie, and any kind of action involving Ash is always wonderful in my eyes.

My YT Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Bookgasmic
My blog: http://ravingbookaddict.blogspot.com/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Retribution.

03/16/2012
43.0% "I love Sundown. Abigail...not so much."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lindsay I agree with everything you said. I've been looking forward to Sundown's story since I met him in Zarek's book...and I was disappointed with it.

I keep getting the feeling that she is trying to completely change the series. Kenyon kept talking about the different stages of the series but ever since Acheron's book things have gone downhill.

I couldn't bring myself to care about the new group of gods introduced into this book. I know it's not the first time she's branched outside of the Greek gods, and normally I don't have a problem with it (I've actually enjoyed it), but this just felt like I was reading a completely different series that just happened to have appearances by characters from the Dark-Hunter series.

Holly Lindsay wrote: "I agree with everything you said. I've been looking forward to Sundown's story since I met him in Zarek's book...and I was disappointed with it.

I keep getting the feeling that she is trying to c..."

I agree 100%. This book sticks out like a sore thumb....it totally does not fit into the DH world that I know and love. And that makes me sad. There have been other books in the series that haven't been great, but this is the first time I have actually just wanted one of the books to end. :(

Lindsay Lol. I know what you mean. I have The Guardian but I keep putting off reading it because I was so unhappy with Retribution.

Like you said, there have been some that weren't great (Sins of the Night comes to mind) but even when they weren't great they still felt like part of the series.

I normally look forward to the new books in the series, but I'm not looking forward to Time, Untime.

Elishia I'm scared to read this now, I've had it sitting there for a while.

Alex is The Romance Fox I just couldn't finish this book.....I love SK and though there have been one or two that I was so-so about, I still "plodded" on and got to the end...but this one...I just gave up.
I am reading Styxx now.....talk about EPIC!!!! i am so loving it...SK magic is back!!!!

Lindsay Alex E wrote: "I just couldn't finish this book.....I love SK and though there have been one or two that I was so-so about, I still "plodded" on and got to the end...but this one...I just gave up.
I am reading St..."

I was just thinking about what Holly said in her review and I wondered if she was onto something. Even if SK did write all of Retribution, I have to wonder if she phoned it in. Because I suspect Styxx was in the works for quite a while. So it would make sense that she had a couple of projects in the works at the same time.

Brooklynn N. I didnt have a big problem with the book, but that might have something to do with the fact that I didnt necissarily read them all in order. The first book I read in this series was way into the series, and I didnt know it.
However, there were things in this book that did annoy me and slighly confuse me, but I did enjoy the bit I learned about the native american mythology. Again, not much was described, but what was did whet my appetite for more of the legends.
And, as mentioned above, the ONLY sex scene in this book was very lacking. Not only was it wrong place, wrong time, but it was... underwhelming. There was a whole lot of mental dialogue.

Hanna There wasn't much drama or action in this book that I was used in the beginning of this series.