Adam's Reviews > The Coldest War

The Coldest War by Ian Tregillis

1192135
Mar 11, 2012

Read from August 09 to 19, 2012 , read count: 1

I have mixed feelings about this follow-up to Bitter Seeds. The book moves the story forward some 20 years after the conclusion of the first, where we find much has changes and much has not. The hot war with Germany has evolved to a cold war with the USSR, but with the same weapons to assure mutual destruction. I felt that this book was a bit better than the first in that it the pace and quality were more even throughout. I am enjoying the idea of super-humans vs. cosmic spirits, but I'm beginning to find the dark context of the series daunting. The story contains so much punishment for each character that it is hard to find any hope. I suppose that is the theme here, though.

Reading through some of the other reviews, it is interesting to think of this story as a metaphor for nuclear annihilation. Once the weapon has been made and unleashed, it may no longer be a question of if, but when do we destroy ourselves with it.

A side note: the page numbering for my eBook copy seemed strange. Typically when I get an eBook from B&N the page numbering matches the printed copy, which is nice if you want to reference a fellow reader to something. My electronic copy of The Coldest War had a page count that matched the number of number of page flips (799) rather than the number of pages in the hard copy (352). I'm not sure if this is a change B&N is doing with all books, or just a feature of this one, but it did make me feel like quite the speedy reader.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Coldest War.