Susan's Reviews > Museum of Thieves

Museum of Thieves by Lian Tanner

Mar 11, 12

Read on March 11, 2012

I saw this book in the store, and I literally did a double take. I mean, just look at that cover. Without even reading the summary on the back, I bought the book and started reading immediately.

And--fortunately--the story inside is just as good as the cover suggests.

My favorite part of this book has to be the world--and not just the crazy, ever-changing museum, but the dystopian city of Jewel as well. It's just got so much room for storytelling! And who wouldn't love a place where one can learn the Three Methods of Concealment (Concealment by Sham, by Camouflage, or by Imitating Nothingness)? Or a place where you can walk up a staircase (though it feels as if you're going down) that changes steepness based on its mood--and is called Harry Mount, no less?

The characters--especially the villains--fit so well in the world. From the charmingly evil Fugleman to our brave heroine Goldie, each person had his/her own story that was deftly shaped by the world in which they all live. My favorite character is Broo--but I won't tell you who or what he is. ;)

Museum of Thieves is the sort of book I'd recommend to lower MG readers. It doesn't have the depth of story/character that an older reader or adult might crave, BUT it's exactly what I'd want to see for the younger kids. In terms of storytelling, it actually reminded me a lot of Fablehaven, so if you enjoyed that MG, then you'll definitely like Museum of Thieves.

So if you like adventure, cooky worlds, or fast-paced middle grade fantasy, then be sure to check out Lian Tanner's Museum of Thieves.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Museum of Thieves.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Very interesting!!!!!!!