Leslie's Reviews > Into the Devil's Den: How an FBI Informant Got Inside the Aryan Nations and a Special Agent Got Him Out Alive

Into the Devil's Den by Dave Hall

Aug 13, 08

bookshelves: truecrime, alabama, religion, survival
Recommended for: true crime fans
Read in August, 2008

Freaking terrifying. I hope the FBI never asks me to be a "source". Dave, the source, gets put into some very, very dangerous situations with the Aryan Nations, and it takes a heavy toll on his body and psyche. He experiences panic attacks and nightmares, loses his girlfriend, loses his dog to cancer, has to stay estranged from his family, some of whom have biracial children, and he sort of starts believing some of the hatred the AN spews. To cope, he pops Xanax like candy (he must have had a VERY nice doctor) and drinks lots of alcohol.

I added the Alabama tag b/c a good portion of the book talks about an assassination plot on Morris Dees at the Southern Poverty Law Center in Montgomery. And, another chapter talks about a KKK rally in Clanton. BTW, thanks Clanton. I'll remind myself not to buy your peaches when I pass your exit.

It's also really cool the way the book alternates between Dave's point of view and Tym, the FBI agent. I hope that one day Dave came come out of seclusion. We should all be thankful to him for helping to put away some very dangerous people.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Devil's Den.