Aaron's Reviews > The Wise Man's Fear

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

Mar 11, 2012

Read from April 24 to May 16, 2012

I'm torn...at times, I wanted to give this book 6 stars, but other times it was about a 3. The author has a real talent for drawing the reader in with neatly divided "episodes". The characters are engaging and the situations are compelling and detailed. The drawback, however is that I don't feel as if the story progressed very far. While very enjoyable, these episodes come across as delightful diversions. We still don't know much about the Chandrian. Kvothe is still 17 at the end of the second day's story. His situation with Denna is more complex but still frustratingly static. I'll be very surprised if the third book resolves all these lines in the water and brings us up to the book's present day (or beyond - apparently, they still don't know anything of the Chandrian).
The book also suffers a little bit of what I like to call "Terry Goodkind Disease". This is when an author tries to make a point by having multiple characters bring it up in discussion over and over and over, resulting in the reader getting beat over the head with the fact that, for example, the Archives suffers from having gone through multiple classification systems, or that Kvothe was poor. I didn't notice this a lot, but the couple times it happened stood out and could've been trimmed.
The negatives are outweighed by the positives, though, and I'm glad to have read "Wise Man's Fear". It's a fun, engaging read and I'm interested (but a wee bit anxious) to see the story come to a resolution!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wise Man's Fear.

04/24/2012 page 18