3.5 bumped up to 4 for creative premise
- really liked all the species of cryptids with which the author populated her alternate New York
- was fascinated by concept of "saving the world through ballroom dance"
- loved the epigraphs of pithy quotes from the protag's female ancestors
- story was good fun
- even liked the mice despite IRL mild rodent phobia
- unlike October Daye, this heroine actually eats on occasion
- wished the protag had demonstrated more smarts/logic sometimes, e.g.
why not enlist assistance from those cryptids?
why wait for a tragedy before warning at risk cryptids?
why encourage an ally to go into the sewers alone to a place known to be guarded by hostile agents from whom she had only escaped with help from someone with special abilities?
why did not she give not a single thought to trying to track down the dwelling of a potentially hostile agent after that same agent had himself tracked down both her residence and her alias?
why in the world did she not realize her staggering negotiation advantage when speaking with the Nest and utilize it?
All in all, looking forward to stories involving protag's siblings