Amy Watt's Reviews > Nerd in Shining Armor

Mar 17, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: romance
Read from March 15 to 17, 2012

Okay, I'll admit it. I'm a sap for romance. In case you hadn't guessed by the books I read. Although, I do like the occasional fantasy.

The only reason this got two stars and not less was because I liked the plot and the nerd actually acted like a nerd (as much as a nerd who's the hero in a romance novel can), instead of a hot guy masquerading as a nerd.

Everything else? Not so much. I got about a quarter of the way in and, literally, skim read the rest of it.

For starters, there were so many spelling mistakes! Gah! Spellcheck, people!

The heroine, Gen, could be really stupid at times. The man who had tried to kill her and Jack (the hero/nerd) at the beginning of the book shows up again and she goes ahead and tells them everything they've done and how they've left signs so people can rescue them. You don't tell that to a man holding a gun to your head! Also, she's supposed to be going to a meeting and she wears a white dress and no bra. What?! Who does that?! I know she thinks she's getting sex after but you don't wear that to a meeting! Also, also, she keeps going on about how she can't encourage Jack in case he gets the wrong idea and then, suddenly, she's all "Let's have sex!". How's that for mixed messages?

Her mum, Annabelle, REALLY annoyed me. She seemed a bit of a clueless, simpering ninny. She's convinced she's psychic and keeps going on about how she's 'established a mental connection' to her daughter. I'm not one for psychic hokum so this bugged me. A lot.

There were quite a few 'how-did-that-happen?!' errors. For example, Jack had forgotten to take a suitcase with him, and then, when they're making signals for rescue helicopters and whatnot to see, suddenly he has four extra pairs of trousers. Another one was that Jack and Nick (the bad guy) had money in their wallets. Paper money. How did it not disintegrate?! They've all been swimming in the ocean fully dressed!

This is going to sound bad however I say it but, if you like novels that have been badly written then this is the one for you!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nerd in Shining Armor.