Laura Summers's Reviews > Time Untime

Time Untime by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Nov 23, 13

bookshelves: bcc-received, paranormal, bcc-reviewed, read-in-2013, romance, uf-pnr-challenge-2013
Read from September 12 to November 23, 2013

Reviewed for www.bookchickcity.com

I am a really big fan of Kenyon’s writing and I have read nearly every on of her books. Her Dark-Hunter series hitting the top of that list. But I do find, that some books are amazing and some books are more middling. The non amazing books always disappoint because you know just how good Kenyon can be. And it’s not that the middling books are bad, they’re really not, they just don’t compare to some of her more awesome titles.

Unfortunately, you can probably guess where this is going… Time Untime was one of the more middling ones. Time Untime has a lot of Native American aspects to it, our heroine Kateri is a professor at university and despite loving her grandmother deeply, never believed all of the stories she always told her. That is until all things go a bit crazy one day in her lab and soldier appears out of nowhere trying to kill her.

Based around the Mayan calendar and the predictions of the apocalypse, Kateri discovers she is the descendant of a longline of women able to close the portal between dimensions and prevent the end of the world.

Enter Ren, a man Katerihas dreamed about all of her life. But in these dreams he always kills her. Ren is a Darkhunter, and like all darkhunters has experienced a terrible and brutal life. Ren is the son of a tribal chief and Atlantean Goddess. His mother unable to raise him, gives him to his father, who not only does want him, but completely hated him and treated him despicably. His past like most of the darkhunters is terribly sad and brutal. Ren’s job is to protect and help Kateri achieve her goal, but there is darkness in his past that he is fighting very hard to control him and derail their mission.

Ren had a stutter which given the fact he was a total bad-ass warrior, this really endeared me to him. I do like a hero with a vulnerable side. I did also really enjoy the romance between him and Kateri. Ren had so many hang ups and had experienced so many betrayals that the romance was lovely to see blossom and him finally experience true love. Kateri is a tough chick and being a professor, clever and determined too. They both made great leas characters.

As a huge Acheron fan, I did enjoy the scenes we go go him in the book and we also got to see some characters we’ve met in previous books, particularly from Retribution. I would actually go as far as saying you ideally need to read Retribution before this one. Ladies, trust me there is plenty of warrior man candy in Time Untime to keep you happy.

As can be the case in some of Kenyon’s books, I did find it tricky at time keeping track of all of the folklore and pantheons in this book. From Mayan, Greek, Atlantean and Native American, it’s all kind of thrown in there. It did create a couple of head scratching moments for me, but if have also come to accept this is pretty much Kenyon’s style.

VERDICT

A good book, lots of action and a romance you can’t help but route for. Not Kenyon’s best, and some of the mythology is hard to keep track of, but you still won’t regret picking it up. Another solid instalment in the Dark-Hunter series, not I hardly wait to pick up Styxx!

3.5/5
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Time Untime.

09/12/2013 marked as: currently-reading
11/23/2013 marked as: read
show 4 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Alex is The Romance Fox Great review. I love SK Dark Series but I really struggled with this one and gave up half-way...perhaps i will get back to finishing it sometime....and I so agree with you....some of her books are totally amazing and then in between some really not so amazing:)