Philip's Reviews > Prophet

Prophet by Frank E. Peretti

Sep 03, 2008

Read in September, 2008

When I first picked up this book, I wasn't really sure what to expect. I mean, I'd read many Frank Peretti books before, so I figured this would be another great thriller... but it wasn't.

Why wasn't it? Because it was different. It was politics, scandal, abortion, and mystery as well as suspense. There were very little "supernatural" elements in the story, which is really what surprised me. I kept waiting for something really unusual to happen, (not that things didn't), but this was different than other Peretti novels; but I enjoyed it.

I admit that Prophet seemed a little slow in the beginning. Hey, the writing has its own rather unique style because of the theme being newscasting. It took some getting used to, especially when it got pretty raw. Later, however, it was to the advantage because it kept the pace up.

Personally, I thought the novel could have had a quarter or a third of it cut out. As I said before, the beginning was slow - and I feel it was a little unneeded. It built up of course, but it felt dragged out. So surprisingly, it took me a while to finish this book.

Now with that said, it really picked up for me half way through the story. I got into it, really picking up the book often when I had time to spare. The end, (without giving away spoilers for those who haven't/plan-to read it), was really, really good. I'll just say it felt like a great ending to a great movie. Honestly, I wish this book was a movie. The topics presented are very important, and Peretti handled them with expertise.

So while this book won't be my top, favorite book of all time - it's not far.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prophet.