Maddie's Reviews > The Pleasure of My Company

Mar 11, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: own, bookclub
Read on March 11, 2012

This was the first book I have read by Steve Martin and although I found it to be somewhat lacking, I will venture to read other titles by him.

The Pleasure of My Company focuses on a very quirky, neurotic man and how the people in his life and their relationships (real or imagined) change him. This man, Daniel, was an interesting character - his thought processes and how he constructed and deconstructed the world were fairly captivating. However, the book as a whole, lacked the same fascination. Daniel was interesting but the other characters were fairly one-dimensional. And while I was curious to see if Daniel moved beyond his neuroses and what his future held, I was never emotionally invested in his life turning out well.

Although lacking drive, the book does show promise for Martin as a writer. The main character was intruiging and throughout the story there were a number of very well-crafted sentences that caused me to reach for a pen to underline.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pleasure of My Company.