Wendy's Reviews > A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain

Mar 11, 12

Read in February, 2012

This is a love-hate book as some of it was really quite badly written. However, the satirical comments of Twain's hero (The Boss) as he tried to 'civilise' the court of King Arthur are always on point. There is a lot of relevance for today's society about the worth of some of our 'improvements' and the book has an element of sci-fi in it as Twain predicts technological advances. Was The Boss in love with Clarence? We will never know as the storyline never quite gets there. The real classics are those whose narrative reaches across the centuries without the reader having to make allowances. I had to make quite a few in this meandering book and found slabs of it quite boring. But it must have shattered its readers with Twain's barbed comments and brave political statements which, had they appeared in 'Letter to the Editor' instead, may have landed him in someone's bad-books. It deserves to be a classic even though there is occasional self-indulgence in there, simply because it is remarkable commentary for its time and the story did sometimes make me giggle at its inventions as if I were watching an episode of The Flinstones.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.