Helen's Reviews > The Red Pyramid

The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan

F_50x66
May 08, 12

Read from March 11 to April 08, 2012

I thorougly enjoyed this book and I had to get the next one. That being said, the two first-person narrators threw me off constantly. I understood the chapter headers named whether a chapter belonged to Carter or Sadie, but if I had to put the book down in mid-chapter, I often lost track of whose head I was in. Plus, the ancient Egyptian mythology, while it is fed in at a good pace for readers unfamiliar with the myths, there is still a lot to grasp. The Percy Jackson series provides lots of Greek mythology, but most readers have at least a baseline familiarity with the major figures; however, most of us are less familiar with Egypt, so Riordan set himself a challenge here.

Nonetheless, the kids, Sadie and Carter, are wonderful, and the cat is a hoot! She's my favorite character and my favorite line is hers: "I'm a cat, Carter. Everything I see is mine." The chapter titles are as funny as we've come to expect from Riordan, and I recommend this book to anyone who loves a thrill ride adventure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Pyramid.