Jacob Siegel's Reviews > You Just Don't Understand: Women and Men in Conversation

You Just Don't Understand by Deborah Tannen

M_50x66
Mar 11, 12

I was listening to this book on an audio book because I was just doing research on feminist issues for a project and I actually found a lot of insightful things contained in it. It really was interesting to me how socialization between guys and girls are so different. A lot of times when I didn't see something like a friend of mine who was a girl did in the same way it was because I didn't understand what was meant. I was still stuck in the traditional mind frame that things are only about activities and that if you don't do something with someone you aren't close to them. It didn't occur to me that it wasn't the only thing that matter. That talked also mattered. And that if you talked to someone that brings you closer together to someone. I mean I knew that. But, it's helped me understand my relationships a lot more, especially with female-male relationships. I think it's really helped and I understand why people get annoyed if you talk to them too much about your ideas about things... guys do talk a lot about report talk, trying to show off their knowledge, but females talk a lot of rapport talk. So I can understand the difference. It was a good book. I think it really helped.

I think more research should be done about why men and women divorce so more of an understanding can come from the gender gap. That's what I think should be done next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Just Don't Understand.