Katrina's Reviews > The Calder Game

Oct 21, 08

bookshelves: juvenile, fiction, mystery
Recommended for: Fans of the Series
Read in October, 2008, read count: 1

As always, Blue Balliett has created an intricately woven story which takes art, mystery, and friendship and turns it into one heck of a book. What's especially nice about THE CALDER GAME is that you don't necessarily have to have read the other books in the series (CHASING VERMEER and THE WRIGHT 3) to understand what's going on; while it would be nice, this story is complete on its own.

While I really liked this book, I'm not sure it was quite as good as the first, which often happens, but it was still really good. I liked all of the twists and turns in the mystery and it was fun trying to figure out what happened. I loved the underlying art theme, which made the book very interesting. I definitely think that it takes a certain type of person to want to read this book, as there is a lot of art talk, which I love, but others may not. All in all, I really enjoyed THE CALDER GAME and look forward to more in the series.

One last note! The illustrations in this book, while sparse, were incredible. I thought they really added to the story and I loved them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Calder Game.