Felicity's Reviews > Déjà Dead

Déjà Dead by Kathy Reichs

Aug 21, 08

it was ok
bookshelves: borrowed-book, mystery, novel, fiction, audiobook
Read in August, 2008

2 1/2 stars

This book benefited from the author's specialized knowledge and had a genuinely creepy and twisty mystery plot. I was engaged and wanted to hear how it ended. However, it was somewhat unpleasant to read. Dr. Brennan's first-person voice includes excessive use of metaphor and florid portraits of her emotions. She also provides exhaustive physical descriptions of people, even when it's irrelevant and distracting (two teenagers walking by with a boombox, for instance.)

Those are minor complaints however, and pale beside the fact that Dr. Brennan consistently and bullheadedly put herself into danger, even well after it was clear the stakes she was playing. Then she would angrily defend her right to be an idiot even to the policeman that did seem to be on her side. I realize it must difficult to write a procedural mystery with a non-cop protagonist, and some allowances must be made to let the main character play detective. However, in this case, Brennan came across as irrational, foolhardy and aggravating.

Note: not for the weak of stomach. I am fairly sturdy gore-wise, and I occasionally wished I was not listening to it over food-preparation.

Review of narration for audiobook version: Barbara Rosenblat does a good job on the French pronunciations, including accenting Brennan's French a bit, which was a nice touch. However, I found her reading to be a touch too broad, perhaps overdramatic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Déjà Dead.