Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥'s Reviews > Tomorrow Land

Tomorrow Land by Mari Mancusi

Dec 24, 14

bookshelves: young-adult, post-apocalyptic, romance, sci-fi, adventure, reviewed, own-ebook, standalone
Recommended for: post-apocalyptic and zombie fans
Read from March 13 to 14, 2012

This review can also be found on my blog: A Match Made in Heaven

I am not sure how I feel about this. Over all I liked it, but there were a few large issues that didnt sit well with me. After writing my review and coming back to the top, I have decided to give this 3.5/5, mostly thanks to Chris.

First of all it was the format. It starts with 15 year old Peyton in 2030, in a virtual reality simulation with her friends, just hanging out. Then the next chapter skips to 4 years later, in a post-apocalyptic world. Then the next chapter goes back, then forward, then back. We have the 2 separate time periods running simultaneously. Each is narrated by both Peyton and Chris, the boy who has been in love with her since they were 6. The narrations are good. I enjoy books that are from alternating POVs. But the timeline was not only confusing and annoying, but it didnt work well for the characters. When we first skipped to the 4 years later, we have no idea how Peyton got there, what she had been through. It made it harder to connect to the characters. And when Peyton runs into Chris again they clearly have a history, but we have no idea what it is. We really didnt get to know the characters until the end of the first timeline caught up with the beginning of the second. I think I would have preferred this book if it had been told in chronological order, even though it would have had two very different halves. It just feels really disjointed as is.

The second thing I didnt like was the negative tone over the whole book. At first I was enjoying the zombie apocalypse. I had never read a book about that before, and the action was fun. But after awhile I realized that the feeling of worry and desperation was not going to go away. The fun of the action soon went away and I felt uneasy for the rest of the book. There was no space to breath and enjoy. That could be a good thing for those who enjoy post-apocalyptic or horror, but not for fans of general YA.

The romance was sweet but not enough to overshadow the rest. Not that the romance wasnt a big factor, it was. Peyton and Chris were almost constantly in each others thoughts, but they had several children and zombies to worry about. They didnt have a lot of time for sweet talk. They also spent way too much time arguing. I really think I enjoyed the 'before' chapters better. Chris hadnt hardened yet and he was utterly adorable. I have always had a soft spot for the sweet and quiet YA boys. His love for Peyton was absolute, unconditional, and all consuming. It is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. And I really enjoyed seeing them fall in love the first time. When Peyton realized just how amazing and sweet this boy was that she had been passing off for 10 years. And I loved their first kiss. There wasnt a lot of physical love going on in this book. Not that we were told about anyway. And it could have used some more kissing. :P But there was no shortage of love, especially in the 'later' chapters when neither of them could think of much else. So, the characters were great, and the romance, story, and action were good.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tomorrow Land.

Quotes Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ Liked

Mari Mancusi
“Of all the apocalypses in all the world - she had walked into his.”
Mari Mancusi, Tomorrow Land

Mari Mancusi
“When the end of the world comes, it won't be the ones that cry who survive, but the ones who spit.”
Mari Mancusi, Tomorrow Land