Deanna's Reviews > All Wound Up: The Yarn Harlot Writes for a Spin

All Wound Up by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

Mar 23, 12

Read from March 11 to 19, 2012

This was laugh-out-loud hilarious in parts of the book -- I kept bothering my husband by bursting into raucous guffaws (don't you love the word "guffaw"?). However, it is a book of essays, and therefore not my usual cup of tea. I like stories. But each essay was, in itself, a little story, of some of the frustrations of life, family, self-esteem, etc. There was one near the end of the book that gave the clearest picture of grief I've every read. It was called "Not Knitting," and describes how the author responded to her heart being "broken." Without ever telling what broke her heart, she describes a grief so great that she stopped, for the first time in her life since she learned how at age 4, knitting at all. The grief had its own need for a kind of reverence, and knitting during the grief seemed inappropriate.

I think I've never been that sad. In fact, I think I may be incapable of that much sadness because of the faith I have in my Savior and his ability to make all things right for me. Which gives me all the excuse I need to keep knitting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Wound Up.