Keertana's Reviews > Above

Above by Leah Bobet

Jun 30, 12

bookshelves: debut-author-2012, did-not-finish
Read on April 25, 2012

I should start out by saying that I can't write very good reviews for books I don't like. It's not that I don't know what I don't like about them, because I do; I simply cannot bring myself to put down a work of art that an author has worked for so long and hard upon. That being said, Above is a perfect example of why I became so dubious about dystopian novels. Unfortunately, I picked up Above with none of my usual qualms, probably because the last few dystopian novels I read had been utterly remarkable. However, Above was far from that.

Matthew, the narrator of this book, is a boy. Perhaps I should be blamed for assuming that the narrator of this novel would be a girl, especially when the cover so blatantly goes to depict one; so, you can imagine my surprise when it was revealed half-way through the first chapter that the narrator was male. Anyway, Matthew lives underground with a society of people who are all scarred or mutated in some form or the other. In his world, he is the Teller: it is his job to write down the stories of the many people who live underground with him. Matthew is desperately in love with Ariel and when their home is attacked, they are forced to flee to the mysterious world that lies above their own. Matthew cannot fathom the horrors that may lie in Above, but he will soon find out. [I on the other hand, did not as I abandoned the book at approximately this supposedly interesting and climatic point.]

I'm just going to come right out and say it: Above had a lot of faults. First and foremost, I didn't like the writing style at all. It was extremely confusing, forcing me to re-read passages to the point where it became cumbersome. Furthermore, I felt as if I barely knew what was happening in the novel for most of the story and even worse, I couldn't be bothered to care. The characterization of Matthew, Ariel, and just about every other character fell flat. In fact, the only reason I can remember for Matthew liking Ariel is because of her beauty, blonde hair, and wings. The characters all felt too one-dimensional, I felt no emotion or interest in them whatsoever, and thus abandoned the book without another thought. In other words, this book left me completely unmoved and its characters were utterly boring.

Above received a variety of mixed reviews from various reviewers. However, in my opinion, this is just one book that can be skipped.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Above.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juliette (new)

Juliette I totally agree.... The weird writing style caught me off guard right away. I had to force myself to give it a chance and after a few chapters I just gave up.

Keertana I know what you mean...I think this was one of those 'love it or hate it' type of novels for people and it just didn't work out for me! :/

Keertana Yeah, I do agree. I think it worked for a lot of people, but many readers didn't like it at all, so I'm completely with you!

Keertana You haven't read anything by Abbi Glines in that case, but it's on the same par as this one. As is stuff like Fifty Shades of Grey, Revealing Eden, and Beautiful Disaster.

message 5: by Ynez (new)

Ynez Parkinson really appreciate ur review

Keertana Thanks Ynez! :)