Alyssa Peters's Reviews > My Mother the Cheerleader

F 50x66
Mar 11, 2012

Alyssa Peters
Multicultural
This book is set in the south in New Orleans. The story is told from the main character Louise’s point of view. Louise is a thirteen-year old girl who lives with her mother and their housekeeper. A man named Morgan comes to stay with them. Louise’s mother works at a beauty shop. When she is not home, Louise just thinks she is at work. This is not the case all the time. Louise’s mom is a “cheerleader.” The “cheerleaders” are woman who are protesting at the school that Louise attends. They are protesting that the school let a six year old African American girl in. She is the first African American in the school. Many events happen in the story. Louise finds out that her mother is not actually her mother, she is her Aunt. Her mother was a druggie and a whore and is actually dead.
There is a lot going on in the story. I liked that it is different than what I would normally read. It does contain some southern dialect and some foul language. I would honestly recommend reading something else if you would like to read a multicultural book. It was different, but not my style.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Mother the Cheerleader.