Renee's Reviews > Soul Survivor: How Thirteen Unlikely Mentors Helped My Faith Survive the Church

Soul Survivor by Philip Yancey

Oct 18, 2008

bookshelves: church-life
Read in October, 2008

A book about the thinkers, writers, dreamers, doers & believers that Yancey has either known or read. People who have influenced his faith in some significant way. And helped him rediscover God after rejecting his southern fundamentalist, racist "Christian" upbringing.

This book provided a great introduction to some really amazing folks both historical and contemporary, whose works I was not familiar with. Like G.K. Chesterton, Dr. Paul Brand and Annie Dillard. And others I knew of but not in any detail. People like Martin Luther King Jr. (I'm Canadian after all, I'm excused for not knowing much about that time in US history), Leo Tolstoy and Mahatma Gandhi.

I've been meaning to read his books for some time. I'm glad I finally did. I appreciate his writing. His honest criticisms, grace for differing opinions and willingness to accept there are no answers to some questions. And in spite of all that or maybe because of it, a solid faith in Jesus Christ.

Although my faith hasn't needed to survive the church, it does have to withstand the pitfalls and struggles of modern society - consumerism, despair, negativity, busyness, noise, overindulgence. And selfishness in general. Yancey's book gave fresh insight to persevering through those daily struggles.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soul Survivor.