Shannon 's Reviews > Nightfire

Nightfire by Lisa Marie Rice

Apr 10, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from March 11 to 14, 2012

Romance is a genre that I really don't read that often. Not because I don't like it but because it can sometimes feel like I am reading variations of the same story. Nightfire was a great read and a great reminder that not all romance stories are the same. There was a lot that I really loved starting with the fact that the male main character, Mike, had the good sense to be embarrassed about his man whore tendencies. Sometimes the male lead in a book takes the whole "I am a man, I'm allowed to be a whore" deal a little too far for my taste. Mike not only does not flaunt it, he is decidedly horrified for the refined and gentle Chloe to find out just what he was doing before he met her (and I mean like the night before!).

Chloe is a great female lead too. While she does have the common characteristic of being somewhat fragile and delicate she is very intelligent and does not knowingly put herself in any danger. I liked that Chloe was not a pushover even though she did of course fall for Mike right away. The romance aspect was done in an interesting and surprising way as well. Being that my husband is military, I love that this played a part in the novel. I see the appeal of a military trained soldier, that is why I married one! While the military aspect was there it never felt clichéd or extraneous.

This is the third in a series and having not read the first two, I was worried I would feel left out. That was never the case. I feel that this could work very well as a stand alone story. This one has made me want to go in search of other Lisa Marie Rice novels. The writing was well done and entrancing. There was action and romance that worked well together. If I have one small complaint it is that the ending felt a bit rushed for me but perhaps that was just because I was enjoying the story so much I was not ready for it to end.

BOTTOM LINE: If you are looking for a break from the normal romance, try Nightfire!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightfire.

03/12/2012 page 130
42.0% "I am liking this one so far. Interesting characters!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rikki (new)

Rikki You might want to have a look at her Midnight series, if you liked this one. Especially Midnight Run sounds A LOT like this.

Shannon Rikki wrote: "You might want to have a look at her Midnight series, if you liked this one. Especially Midnight Run sounds A LOT like this."

Awesome, Thanks!