David Fox's Reviews > The Declaration

The Declaration by Gemma Malley

Mar 11, 12

bookshelves: teen-fiction
Read in March, 2012

Pharmaceutical companies have an incredibly large amount of power and have developed drugs that will allow humans to last forever. Clearly the world cannot sustain its resources and population if it keeps growing and no one dies, so a rule is put in place that makes it illegal to have a child. Those that do are sent to prison, while their children are sent to detention centers where they are trained to serve the "Legals" and have no self worth. Clearly this leads to problems and there is an underground movement. One girl whose parents have been imprisoned has been raised in Grange Hall in their absence. She believes that she belongs there until one day a new boy comes along whose entire plan is to break her out.

This book seems to encapsulate more than just the world of this dystopian society, but mimics our population's past in many facets. Immigration, genocide, oppressive governments and slavery are all hinted and placed into a new context. I am not saying that this is done brilliantly, but better than most of the similar style of novels that I have read recently (which is a good amount). Fans of the Hunger Games would probably like this book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Declaration.