Emily (Book Jems)'s Reviews > Unspoken

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

Whelp. The review wrote itself.
I'll publish it closer to the release date. Just know that this is one of the best books I've ever read.
Sarah is fucking brilliant.
Lemme go eat my feelings and write nasty letters to Sarah cry in sorrow.

description

ETA: The actual review.

WARNING: FAN GIRL RAMBLINGS AHEAD
This won't all make sense, I assure you, because I can't put into words how much I loved this book.
What is this writing? What is the beautiful, beautiful writing and why have I never read it before?

Sarah Rees Brennan is on my "author to hug if I ever meet them" list.
ETA: I did hug her on August 4, 2012. FOR THE FREAKING WIN! She's one of the funniest people that I've ever met. I wish she lived closer so I could be her friend and make her let me read the drafts, give me ARCs and free final copies of the next two books in the Lynburn Legacy series. I'm a greedy moocher, what can I say?

How did I come across this book? It started with a cover… I'm a cover luster. Book covers are what draw me in and as "bad" as it is, they are what push me to choose a book. In this case, I was right to choose Unspoken. It's as fascinating inside as it is on the outside.

Our lead is Kami Glass, a young high school reporter in the small town of Sorry-in-the-Vale, England. Kami is desperate for a great story. When the Lynburn family moves back to her town, she thinks she has finally found it. When she begins to investigate the family and interact with the her new classmates, Jared and Ash, someone decides to get rid of her.

Let's talk about how much I love the main character's name. My old neighbor's name was Kami and I adored her. My feelings toward this Kami are no different. I was riveted by her perspective and her small town life. Honestly, the more I read, the more I wished I could be a part of the story. It's not often that I feel that way, but something about Sorry-in-the-Vale and the people who reside there made me desperate to be in the book. Kami's adventure and investigation drew me in like a moth to a flame. I wish I could've be in the story to help her solve the mystery!

It was very neat to read about Kami's heritage. She is of Japanese decent, on her father's side. I love that this book has some diversity to it. There is a lot of reference to her looks and family. Japanese phrases and beliefs are also incorporated into the story. It helped make Unspoken and its characters stand out.

I was literally trapped by the mystery of this story. I couldn't put the book down after I picked it up because I just had to know what was going to happen next. Everything that Unspoken is eery! Definitely a gothic novel and so enjoyable! I cannot stress enough how much I loved this book. The writing grabs at your attention and keeps you sucked in. The events, the mysteries, the characters, everything about this book pulled together to create a novel that everyone can love! I'm included in that everyone, if you couldn't already tell.

There is a minor love-triangle like romance. Jared, who is a definite "bad boy." He's scarred physically and emotionally, but there is something familiar (to an obvious degree for the reader) about him that Kami just can't put her finger on for a while. The other boy is Jared's cousin, Ash. Ash is Jared's polar opposite. His edges smooth where Jared's are ragged. And I'm just gonna say it now: TEAM JARED FOREVER. Be team Jared or don't be my friend because he gives me the swoony swoonz.

Other minor characters include Angela and Holly. Angela was definitely not my favorite character. I think Ms. Brennan wrote her that way on purpose. She was crass, loud and not always the best friend to Kami. Ten and Tomo are Kami's younger brothers. Their interactions were so funny to read and it's very obvious that Kami loves them very much, and her parents, too. For once we have a character comes from a happy, loving household (even if it is filled with secrets)!

The characters in Ms. Brennan's story are so fun. I enjoyed reading the book from the very beginning. As soon as it is released, there will be a copy for my shelves. I definitely recommend this for fans of YA paranormal mystery. It's a cute book that will leave you beginning for more and screaming at the ending. BECAUSE A CLIFFHANGER? REALLY? WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT TO ME. *coughs* Erm… Right. Well. Go read it.

Also - when I talked to Sarah, she said book two is going to be called Untold and will be released in September of 2013. OVER A YEAR AWAY. I'm going to go cry in a corner and eat my feelings now.
ETA: Sarah made Untold its own Goodreads page. SEE HERE. And the publication date is June 6, 2013. BOO-YAH.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unspoken.

Quotes Emily (Book Jems) Liked

Sarah Rees Brennan
“You’re crazy,” said her best friend, Angela, as the bell rang to signal five minutes before the first class on the first day back at school.
“They said that about all the great visionaries.”
“You know who else they said it about?” Angela demanded. “All the actual crazy people.”

Sarah Rees Brennan
“Hark," he said, his tone very dry. "What stone through yonder window breaks?”

Sarah Rees Brennan
“Kami said, "I want you to go in there and vamp that receptionist."

"What?" Ash said blankly.

"You know," Kami said. "Dazzle her with your charms. Rock her world. Go on."

[...] "What," Ash said, "all of us?"

"Do you want to stand around trying to guess if she likes pretty boys or rough trade?" Jared asked, gesturing lazily from Ash to himself.

"Excuse me, what did you just call yourself?" Ash demanded. "No, wait a second, I don't care. What did you just call me?”

Sarah Rees Brennan
“What the hell is going on?" demanded Kami's dad, advancing with his black eyes snapping. Jared blurted, "My intentions are honourable."
Kami sat up straight in her bed and stared in Jared's direction. "Are you completely crazy?" she wanted to know. "This isn't the eighteenth century. How do you think that's going to help?"
"Well, I mean," Jared said, back against the wall like a cornered animal. "When we're older. I mean-"
"Please shut up," Kami begged.
"I agree with Kami," said Dad. "When you're in an abyss-like hole, quit digging.”

Sarah Rees Brennan
“Don't feel bad, Angela," Kami said. "You know guys, they only want one thing. Repartee. I can't count how many times men have admired my well-turned phrases.”

Sarah Rees Brennan
“One of the lambs fixed its attention on Jared. “Baa,” it flirted.
“Boo,” said Jared.
“Oh my God, Jared. Don’t tough-talk the lambs.”
"It was giving me a funny look.”

Sarah Rees Brennan
“Angela spared a glare for Kami, and then resumed her marathon glaring session at Jared. 'It's too weird. I'm going to call you Carl.'
Jared scowled. 'I don't want you to call me Carl.'
'That's interesting, Carl,' said Angela, cheering up.”

Sarah Rees Brennan
“Listen to me. I don’t know what’s going on. I don’t know what any of this means. But I know this much. It doesn’t matter. You’re not one of them. You never were. You’re not theirs. You’re mine.”

Sarah Rees Brennan
“Kami drew in a slow shuddering breath, and reached out for comfort where she could always find it. I can hear him coming back, she told Jared. I'm scared.
Don't be scared, Jared told her. He won't touch you. I'm coming, and I'm going to kill him.

Sarah Rees Brennan
“His desperation and misery swept her up like a storm capturing the sea. She turned her mind to even these feelings, because they were his, like his terrified rage in the lift when they had first met, being wrapped in his arms in the cold well, being dazzled by his wonder at the woods and her home and her. Like being a child, awareness of him the morning chorus that woke her and the lullaby that sent her to sleep, his thoughts always her first and last song.
I love you, Kami told him, and cut.”

Sarah Rees Brennan
“I'm always on your side.”

Sarah Rees Brennan
“If you weren’t there, how do you know someone pushed her?” Sergeant Kenn asked.
“Well …,” said Jared.
“And what were you doing, running through a strange town at night?”
“I was jogging?” Jared offered.
“Without your shirt or your shoes?”
“Uh,” said Jared.”
tags: jared

Sarah Rees Brennan
“Jared had his back to the wall, which Kami thought was a reflex when he was uncomfortable. She wanted to shield him. “He was doing some—Zen jogging,” she claimed.
Jared flicked her an incredulous glance. “Yes,” he said slowly. “Zen jogging. I wasn’t wearing that many clothes because—that’s part of the process. You’re meant to commune with the elements. Normally, I wouldn’t have worn my jeans, but I put them on because I know the English are a modest people.”

Sarah Rees Brennan
“The Lynburns built this town on their blood and bones."
"That was their first mistake," Jared said. "They should've built a city on rock and roll.”

Sarah Rees Brennan
“Hark,” he said, his tone very dry. “What stone through yonder window breaks?”
Kami yelled up at him, “It is the east, and Juliet is a jerk!”
Jared abandoned Shakespeare and demanded, “What do you think you’re doing?”
“Throwing a pebble,” said Kami defensively. “Uh… and I’ll pay for the window.”
Jared vanished and Kami was ready to start shouting again, when he reemerged with the pebble clenched in his fist. “This isn’t a pebble! This is a rock.”
“It’s possible that your behaviour has inspired some negative feelings that caused me to pick a slightly overlarge pebble,” Kami admitted.”

Sarah Rees Brennan
“I hate this, I want this to stop, how are we supposed to live with this, and how am I supposed to walk away? You’re real and I hate you for it.”

Sarah Rees Brennan
“A leather jacket,” Kami said as he shrugged into it. “Aren’t you trying a little too hard to play into certain bad boy clichés?”
“Nah”, said Jared. “You’re thinking of black leather. Black leather’s for bad boys. It’s all in the color. You wouldn’t think I was a bad boy if I was wearing a pink leather jacket.”
“That’s true,” Kami said. “What I would think of you, I do not know. So what does brown leather mean, then?”
“I’m going for manly,” Jared said. “Maybe a little rugged.”
“It’s bits of dead cow; don’t ask it to perform miracles.”

Sarah Rees Brennan
“Why are you putting on lip gloss, my daughter?” Dad asked. “Trip to the library? Trip to the nunnery? I hear the nunneries are nice this time of year”

“Is this true, Kami? Are you going out on a date?” Dad asked tragically. “Wearing that? Wouldn’t you fancy a shapeless cardigan instead? You rock a shapeless cardigan, honey.”

Sarah Rees Brennan
“Nothing else ever mattered to me, and you weren’t even real. All I ever wanted was you.”

07/24/2012 page 96
26.0% "I want to be in this book. Pleasepleaseplease"
08/03/2012 page 108
29.0% ""So what does brown leather mean, then?"
"I'm going for manly," Jared said. "Maybe a little rugged."
"It's bits of dead cow, don't ask it to perform miracles."

THEY ARE SO CUTE. I WANT THEM TO SNUGGLE. AND TO INCLUDE ME IN A GROUP HUG."
08/05/2012 page 211
57.0% "*Le sigh* Kami... Why are you doing this to me?"
08/06/2012 page 308
83.0% "Oh Sarah, you are making me all achy right now. WHY ARE THINGS NOT EASY? This is a simple equation: Kami + Jared = True Motha-effing Love"
08/06/2012 page 328
89.0% "PLOT TWIST. One I kinda suspected, but not totally. Still a bit shocked. THIS BOOK IS AMAZING."
08/06/2012 page 370
100.0% "I'm crying so hard. Dear God, that hurt. That hurt so badly. My chest is gone. SARAH, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?"
11/16/2016 marked as: read