Christi Snow's Reviews > Grave Refrain

Grave Refrain by Sarah M. Glover

Apr 14, 12

Read on April 09, 2012

My full review will be up Saturday, but I was so impressed with this book. Just incredibly good reading!

My Review:
Warning: this is a LONG book, but it is worth every single moment spent reading it. I loved this book.

Andrew is part of a three-part rock band from England. One night a huge rock manager (Neil...although he is retired) drops in on their gig and offers them a place to stay in San Francisco. Taking him up on the offer in the hopes it will lead them to a break, the three members of The Lost Boys: Andrew, Christian, and Simon, move into the rambling in-complete-disrepair victorian house in San Francisco. They quickly find out the house is haunted by two lovers who can never see each other, Nick and Nora.

Andrew has his own ghost. His entire life, his dreams have been filled with his imaginary muse. He's sure that she's a real person. He's just never been able to find her. This confidence in her existence has caused him severe mental issues, including a stay in a mental institution. Andrew is a tortured artistic soul. He's incredibly talented, but along with that talent comes some emotional issues.

Emily lives with her two roommates Margot and Zoey. They are looking for a new place to live when Zoey's childhood friend Christian moves to town. In the meantime, Emily has become obsessed with an itinerant guitar player that she's found in the park. She thinks he's homeless and several things come together so that the three girls end up living with the three band members in this house haunted by Nick and Nora.

There is so much to this story. It was just incredibly written. From the moment I started reading it, I became immersed in the story and really did not want to put it down. Emily and Andrew are each tortured in their own way. They have this huge deep connection which they both realize is completely crazy since they just met. As a result, they both hide the depth of how much they are connected and have been for MUCH longer than they've known each other. I loved their love story, although I hated how long it took them to be honest about their true feelings and the depth of them.

There's a ton going on here. The six people in the house are trying to figure out the mystery of why Nick and Nora (the ghosts) can't be together. The band is on the verge of making it HUGE and are dealing with all those pressures. The house-owner, Neil, has his own secrets and history that come to play in the whole story. Emily is dealing with an obsessive professor who is trying to make her last semester at school impossible. In the midst of all this is the house which is constantly being worked on by various contractors who are in and out and being driven away in terror by the ghosts. It was so funny to watch the comings and goings of the workmen and their fright especially since there are six people living in this house who aren't bothered by them at all. There's also a group of 4 stoners offering comedic breaks to the story with their ghostbusting antics.

This was just a great book. The romance story line was gorgeous...and there are actually several of them going on so you get several stories in one. The suspense was amazing. I couldn't figure out how this all was going to come out with an HEA. I was extremely pleasantly surprised by the depth and writing in this book. It was really wonderful reading.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Refrain.

04/09/2012 page 194
40.0% "These book is so incredible. I'm already in a panic about reviewing it...how in the world to convey the richness and depth of this book. God, it's good!!"
04/09/2012 page 352
73.0% "OMG, this book is bloody brilliant. Ghosts, an up and coming sexy rock band, and an incredible suspense story line. It has it all!!!"

message 1: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber Thats all the review I need to put in my TBR pile, lol!! Sounds amazing:)

Mrs. Missive Sold. TBR bound.