Vicki's Reviews > The Lemon Tree: An Arab, a Jew, and the Heart of the Middle East

The Lemon Tree by Sandy Tolan

F_50x66
Jul 15, 07

Recommended for: People with caring hearts, people and an interest in the world's peoples.

I have just finished this book, and found it to be one of the most complelling books I have ever read.

An intriguing historical account of the Palestinian/Arab - Israeli conflict through the stories of the lives of two families who are connected through having resided in the same home (the Arab family built it and was later "displaced;" -- most violently. A Jewish family from Bulgaria comes to live there, newly arrived in Israel after World War II. A Lemon Tree grows in the back yard.

In 1967, a young Palestiniam man knocks on the door -- hoping to see the home he fled from with his family, as a young boy. A young Jewish woman, on her college vacation, is home alone -- and opens the door.

The cballenge of this book -- is that it revolves around two extraordinary individuals who choose to care and hear each other stories, and maintain a deep and respectful friendship spanning decades despite deep political differences - that go to the very core of their beings -- differences that each conscientiously acts upon through their lives.

It is a book a would recommend that you read -- but also that I would ask you to read. I feel we have a responsiblity to know these stories.

I

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lemon Tree.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane Goldsmith I concur absolutely. It is the first time I got a coherent view of the variety of views and deeply held convictions of both Palestinians and Israelis. Plus it is very compelling reading.

Teresa Important and touching. A must read!