Shaheen's Reviews > The Shapeshifter's Secret

Mar 11, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley
Read from June 11 to 12, 2012

My notes for this novel clearly indicate how I felt about it - I have extensive notes on the first hundred pages, and then just three comments for the rest. The beginning of the book is haphazard at best, non stop action with no reprieve and no time to process what is happening. Which means that 60 pages in, I had no idea what was going on. There is a lot happening and suddenly, Julia ends up in another dimension, at school learning to shapeshift into a tiger.

After the hundred page mark either the book got better, or I got used to the writing style of the author, because I was surprised to find myself enjoying it. There were still a few things that I did not like, but overall the book improves a lot once all the information dumps are out of the way and it was easier for me to lose myself in the world that Ostler has created.

At times book reads like a draft - everything could be tighter and sharper. There is a tendency for the author to over explain everything - every look, gesture and facial expression is accompanied by an unnecessary explanation. I also noticed an overuse of qualifiers that make it seem like Julia is always experiencing an extreme form of any emotion - she swings between elated and severely depressed or very angry and very excited.

Julia is a very difficult character to like. She acts a lot younger that her supposed sixteen years - some of her reactions are extremely juvenile and I had a hard time taking her seriously. Obvious facts overwhelm Julia, but she takes surprising twists in stride. She also takes a long time to figure out things, which is frustrating because she is unduly surprised or angered as a consequence. Julia is constantly seeking new information but when it is offered to her she has tantrums because she 'doesn't want to know'.

While she has no problems with her best friend Sierra keeping secrets from her for years, Julia stops talking to Caleb because he neglected to inform her he has a girlfriend, despite only knowing her for two days. I would have been more forgiving if Julia harboured feelings for Caleb, but she doesn't, so I am left mystified why she treated Caleb so badly and took such a strong and instant dislike to his girlfriend. Equally unexplainable is her swift attraction to Terrance. I couldn't fathom why she is attracted to him at all, but by the end of the novel he had gained my grudging respect.

One of the final things I will mention are the unmistakable throwbacks to Rowling's Harry Potter. The otherworldly school Julia is taken to resembles Hogwarts, and not only because of the castle it is situated in or the sumptuous meals served there. A twist in the story where mysterious writing is found on wall reminded me strongly, in both wording and intent, of the ominous words "The chamber of secrets has been opened, enemies of the Heir beware!" Even the dynamic between the trio is similar, but with the genders reversed: Julia is obviously the leader, mysteriously connected to the villain of the story, Sierra is her loyal best friend and only voice of reason, and Gabriel is a walking encyclopaedia of facts.

The Shapeshifter's Secret is obviously a debut novel, with all bumps and quirks associated with debuts, but there are moments in this novel that are amazing. If you get through the first hundred or so pages, then I believe you will enjoy it for the same reasons I did.

You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shapeshifter's Secret.

06/11/2012 page 57
17.0% ""Caleb talked quickly , and while Julia listened to every word intently, it felt like he was speaking a foreign language."

Unfortunately I feel like the whole BOOK so far has been written in a foreign language. Plus the writing strikes me as amateurish."
06/12/2012 page 143
44.0% "Still choppy in writing style, and Julia's inexplicable reactions to obvious things are starting to irritate me.

Also, why would you expect someone you have known for two days to share all the tiny details of their life with you???"