Laura's Reviews > The Colour Out of Space

The Colour Out of Space by H.P. Lovecraft

Mar 10, 12

bookshelves: cthulhu, fantasy, gods-need-worship, madness, monsters, paranoid
Recommended to Laura by: Alan Moore, Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, Metallica, Joss Whedon
Read in March, 2012

Seven clustered stories including the canonical The Call of Cthulhu. The stories don't do so much for me, but the scenes - the scenes are epic. Viz:

"I shall never sleep calmly again when I think of the horrors that lurk ceaselessly behind life in time and in space, and of those unhallowed blasphemies from elder stars which dream beneath the sea, known and favored by a nightmare cult ready and eager to loose them on the world whenever another earthquake shall hear their monstrous stone city again to the sun and air." (70).

These aren't horrors you hail.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Colour Out of Space.

Lorelei I read this so many years ago I barely remember it, but I do remember how flowery was the descriptive language. Although 'flowery' probably isn't an appropriate adjective here.

Laura Lorelei wrote: "I read this so many years ago I barely remember it, but I do remember how flowery was the descriptive language. Although 'flowery' probably isn't an appropriate adjective here."

Heh. I think "flowery" is just awesome. Strange and eldritch flowers!