Peregrine's Reviews > Perfumes: The Guide

Perfumes by Luca Turin

Aug 17, 08

Recommended for: anyone interested in fragrance
Read in August, 2008

If you have ever been interested in perfume, this is an incredibly good place to start! The reviews in this book are incredibly easy to grasp, even if you have little knowledge of the perfume industry. They are in turns smart, funny, snarky and sometimes downright cruel. But they offer information that helps us understand if we will relate and be interested in sampling these scents - many that I have already sampled I found myself reading the reviews and saying "Yes, that is it exactly!" The review of Andy Tauer's L'air du desert marocain I found to be particularly endearing - it is one of my favorite scents! I don't know that I agree that Angel should ever be given a 5 star rating - the dirty patchouli! the beeswax! the fruit! - but after reading the review in the guide I do see the point that the authors are attempting to make, that it should be taken for the strength and weakness, the masculinity and femininity, and this gives me pause to consider for a moment the argument.

They include some useful information, such as creators and sometimes specific chemicals used to achieve certain notes (which I found incredibly helpful as I was wondering how in the world calone helped anything) but not in such abundance that someone that had no use for this information would be overwhelmed or bored by it.

I will, for sure, be procuring this book in hard copy, plate it in gold, and put it in a place of honor on my bookshelf as a HG guide for my future perfume sampling pleasure. Love it!!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perfumes.