Bridget's Reviews > Prince Caspian

Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis

Mar 10, 2012

bookshelves: reviewed
Read in March, 2012

Prince Caspian is the fourth book in the Narnia series by C. S. Lewis. This one has restored my faith in the series after I didn’t particularly enjoy The Horse and His Boy.

The story begins with Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy sitting on the platform of a train station, on their way back to boarding school for a new year. Suddenly, instead of sitting on a dreary platform, they have been transported to a forested island, where they stumble upon the ruins of an ancient castle. Eventually, they realize that the ruins are those of their own Cair Paravel, the castle from which they ruled Narnia when they were kings and queens.

Soon, they meet a dwarf who tells them that Narnia is now under the rule of the cruel Telmarines, who have all but stomped out the Talking Beasts and other magical creatures the Pevensies knew when they last saw Narnia. The dwarf tells the children of Prince Caspian, the rightful heir to the Narnian throne, whose father was killed by the usurper Miraz—Caspian’s uncle and the king’s own brother. And now that the king has a son to inherit the throne, Caspian has left the castle on the advice of his tutor.

Now it’s up to the Pevensies to help Caspian and the Talking Beasts of Narnia overcome the Telmarines. Will they be able to defeat King Miraz’s armies and restore Caspian to his rightful place?

I really liked Prince Caspian! Lots of great adventure and battles and Aslan being awesome (including turning water into wine…hmmm…). I really like Caspian, as wildly unrealistic as he is (but I mean, this is a fantasy series after all). It was also cool to see that so many generations had passed since the Pevensies’ last visit (only a year ago our time, but centuries in Narnia time) and that everyone reacted to them as though they were gods and goddesses come to life. It was also interesting to see how quickly and easily they slipped back into their old roles as kings and queens, even though they’re still children.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prince Caspian.