Deb's Reviews > Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us

Mar 10, 12

Read in June, 2010

*Truly motivating*

What's your motivation?

As Pink clearly conveys in _Drive_, the carrot-and-stick theory of motivation is so last century, and quite incompatible with who we are and the world we're living in today. Our motivations have changed with the times, for sure: While Motivation 1.0 was based on our biological drives, and Motivation 2.0 was fueled by our drives to seek rewards and avoid punishments, our current operating system of Motivation 3.0 is fueled by our intrinsic drives of autonomy, mastery, and purpose. When we are the directors of our own lives, striving to get better at something that truly matters, and working towards a cause greater and more enduring than ourselves, we are operating at our best--and healthiest--levels.

Pink's book is truly paradigm-shifting and mind-blowing. His words are gems and magically capture the true nature of human motivation:
"We're born to be players, not pawns. We're meant to be autonomous individuals, not individual automatons...We're designed to be active and engaged. And we know the richest experiences in our lives are not when we're clamoring for validation from others, but when we're listening to our own voice--doing something that matters, doing it well, and doing it in the service of a cause larger than ourselves."

Once you take this book for a drive, it's likely you'll never be able to go back to the outdated ways of thinking and doing. Goodbye carrots and sticks, hello autonomy, mastery, and purpose.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drive.