Deb's Reviews > Women, Food and God: An Unexpected Path to Almost Everything

Women, Food and God by Geneen Roth

Mar 10, 2012

Read in June, 2010

*Soul food*

If you're the type of reader who highlights and makes margin notes in books when you come across a body-jolting insight, it is likely you're not going to have much white space when you've finished this book. Although the book is relatively short and the tone is casual, there is more food for thought (yes, pun intended) here than in the shelf-loads of books surrounding it. Geneen's book is nothing short of amazing. Showing how our approach to food is an exact microcosm of our relationship to life itself is no small feat. But, Geneen accomplishes it completely, beautifully, and gracefully.

The book is so engaging. It's almost as if Geneen is sitting right there chatting with you. And, then all of a sudden, she'll share these profound insights that suddenly make the chaos so clear. (On my second read of this book, I typed up this collection of profoundness. Needless to say, my document is many, many pages long!)
Here's just a sampling:
---"When you believe in yourself more than you believe in food, you will stop using food as if it were your only chance at not falling apart." (p. 81)
---"Truth, not force, does the work of ending compulsive eating. Awareness, not deprivation, informs what you eat. Presence, not shame, changes how you see yourself and what you rely on." (p. 81)
---"If you don't allow a feeling to begin, you also don't allow it to end." (p. 123)
---"Once you realize that it's possible to feel good by not eating certain things, and including others instead, the compulsion begins to fall away because you've found something better: getting your life back." (p. 171)
---"We don't want to _eat_ hot fudge sundaes as much as we want our lives to _be_ hot fudge sundaes." (p.174)
---"Spiritual hunger can never be solved on the physical level." (p. 177)
---"If you pay attention to when you are hungry, what your body wants, what you are eating, when you've had enough, you end the obsession because obsessions and awareness can't coexist."(p. 194)
---"There is something better than endlessly pushing the boulder of obsession up the mountain: putting it down." (p. 200)

As Geenen says again and again: It's not about the food and it's not about the weight. But, it is about discovering, nourishing, and nurturing our true selves that have been hidden underneath the obsession. Only when we can harness and redirect the energy of of the food obsession towards fully experiencing and accepting our present-day authentic selves can we finally feed that spiritual hunger that has been starving for life.

I can't rave enough about _Women Food and God_ . But, I can describe it in just two words: soul food. (Eat up and live fully.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Women, Food and God.

02/01/2016 marked as: read