Laura's Reviews > The Drowning Tree

The Drowning Tree by Carol Goodman

Mar 13, 12

bookshelves: fiction, mystery, thriller, suspense, gothic, mythology, favorites
Recommended for: Mystery lovers, mythology lovers, imaginative people
I own a copy, read count: 2

This is by far my favorite Carol Goodman book. I love the characters in it, the elements of mythology, the art, the settings, all of it. It's also one of the saddest books I've read. When I read this book the first time, in high school, it was probably the saddest book I had ever read, and it took me about a week to get the story, and especially the ending, out of my head.

This book has a lot of elements in common with other Carol Goodman books, such as the protagonist being divorced, having a child, and working at a school, although in this book she isn't a teacher. The settings are described so beautifully that I can just picture them, and wish they were real so I could live there, or at least visit. Goodman also seems to do extensive research for her books, making her characters and their professions seem very believable. I've always been impressed by her ability to do this, as she has branched out farther and farther with each book she has written.

All in all, I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys mysteries, mythology, vivid imagery, and a good non-Hollywood ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Drowning Tree.