Sarah's Reviews > Witch & Wizard

Witch & Wizard by James Patterson

Mar 10, 12

Read in February, 2012

Let me first start off by saying that I don’t mean to offend anyone who loves this book (because there seems to be a ridiculously large amount), but I H-A-T-E-D hated this book! It was so terrible, I don’t understand how people can possibly even come close to liking it. I’ll start with the main characters, Whit and Wisty Allgood. They were idiotic, terribly constructed, selfish, fools. I mean, come on! And the names! Who seriously names their two kids Wisteria and Whitford? They had absolutely no motivation for most of the things they did. The dialogue was completely unbelievable, it sounded like some fifty plus year old guy trying to sound like a teenager… oh wait, that’s what it was, and he failed at it miserably. Oh, and by the way, if you were dragged out of your house in the middle of the night, imprisoned for being a witch/wizard, then escaped with the help of some members of a rebellion, and then they told you that you were the only ones that could save a whole bunch of kids from vaporization, what would you do? Well I know what Whit and Wisty (from here on referred to as The Idiots) did! Uh… no thanks, I think I’ll go search around blindly for my parents, even though I don’t know where they are and it would only take me a day or so to save those kids. Let me say it again, complete idiocy. Okay, rewind a bit. What’s with the whole “The One Who…” thing? It’s so childish, seriously, a five-year-old could’ve written this book. I think James Patterson tried to shove too many things into one book, either he should’ve stuck with the whole fantasy thing or the sci-fi thing. And how do you not notice that your entire country is being taken over by a evil political group? The only thing that kept me reading was the hope that it would eventually get better and that I’d heard that James Patterson’s a good author.
And then, after wading through the one dimensional characters, idiotic dialogue, a terrible plot line and one hundred chapters of stupid, you finally get to the end… and you don’t find out anything. If the purpose of this was to get me to read the next book, it failed epically. If anything, it made me more sure in my decision to never read anything by James Patterson again (which I made after roughly ten chapters). Oh yeah, that and the fact that The Idiots were perfectly okay with that weasel guy, who wanted them dead just a short while ago, is now human again and he wants to follow them around and “help”. How dense are you? Seriously, I want to know. And then… nothing. Absolutely nothing. I actually hope that Bryon betrayed them, it would serve them right. However, I will never find out, because I will most definitely not be reading The Gift… Ever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Witch & Wizard.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brittni I can assure you that reading The Gift would have only disappointed you further. I decided to read the second book with the hope that it would get better. It didn't. Another hundred chapters later and still no answers. Ugh! I will not waste any more time on this series.

Sarah Brittni wrote: "I can assure you that reading The Gift would have only disappointed you further. I decided to read the second book with the hope that it would get better. It didn't. Another hundred chapters later ..."
Yeah, I figured. How does this stuff even get published?

Mckenzie U people SUCK ok ok its wasnt perfect but i think it was pretty good.
H

N

H
T
E

Brown *claps* I agree with EVERYTHING said here.

Stephanie Not everybody is going to like the book and I understand that...but honestly how can you ask "who would name their kids Wisteria and Whitford." I mean I've heard worse than that. We have people out there naming their kids after fruit.

message 6: by John (new)

John Franklin Ha how they couldn't notice the whole world was being taken over by a political party where everyone was called "The One Who" whatever crap. It was such an interesting story line. I mean magical dystopian sounds real interesting but then this happens! Honestly don't mind weird names but agree with you on most everything else.