Ashley - Book Labyrinth's Reviews > Ascendant

Ascendant by Diana Peterfreund

Mar 12, 12

bookshelves: young-adult
Read from March 10 to 12, 2012

There's so much good about this book, but I feel like it was ultimately disappointing. I really liked the 1st book, and I liked this one too, but it was just so depressing. I realize it can't be all sunshiney rainbows when dealing with such huge issues, but I still wish there could have been more happiness for Astrid despite all the things she has to struggle with. I also feel like so much of this book is rushed, with characters being thrown out and never heard from again, and other situations staying completely unresolved. I also hate what happens to Astrid and the last part of the book. Maybe I just wasn't in the right place emotionally to read about it, but it really brought me down and it took away the heroine I adored from the first book. I was also confused about the Remedy and certain aspects of the book. So, still a lot of good in this one, and I really enjoyed how it made me think and brought up so many larger debate issues, but I feel like the character growth went backwards and the plot was all over the place at times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ascendant.