Megan Sanchez's Reviews > Vampire Knight, Vol. 1

Vampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino

Mar 10, 12

Read on March 10, 2012

The concept sounded fun, but after one chapter, I was ready to put this one down. Luckily, I stuck with it (not hard when the reading is this quick) and I was totally hooked by the last three chapters in this volume. Yuki is a fairly blah protagonist, but the character of Zero Kiryu is great.

The story follow Yuki Cross, as she attends Cross Academy as a member of the Disciplinary Committee. It is her job to keep separate the human Day Class and the vampire Night Class. Both she and Zero, her partner, are orphans that have been taken in by the Academy's rather... interesting headmaster. It's a Shojo Beat manga, so expect and enjoy the ridiculous love triangle drama and overly emphasized close-ups of random boy's lips. While this is not my favorite manga I've ever randomly picked up from the library, it does have enough action and a backstory that is compelling enough to set it apart from some of the other, more typical shojo titles I grab.

I have the next two volumes sitting in the wings and will probably place some library holds for another few this week.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampire Knight, Vol. 1.