Emma Mcdonald's Reviews > Ruby Red

Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier

Mar 10, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, series-books

This was an impulse buy at my son's middle school book fair that turned out to be a fabulous read. Besides being a huge fan of time travel stories, this novel by Kerstin Gier hooked me from the beginning. The story flowed with enough information coupled with continued mystery to keep my undivided interest. Although it is similar to The Time Traveler's Wife with the idea of a person being genetically inclined to time-travel without a machine, I really enjoyed the twist to this story. The secret society complete with ancient mysteries always makes for a fun read, and I'm anxious to find out the origions of the chronograph used by the time-travellers. It has both ancient and modern elements, so where did it come from and who created it? I hope these questions will be answered in the next two books of the series. I would recommend this for 5th/6th grade and up. Although there is some fascination with kissing, the romantic elements within the book are treated with a level of innocence often not found in older YA literature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ruby Red.