Christina (Ensconced in Lit)'s Reviews > A Smudge of Gray: A Novel

A Smudge of Gray by Jonathan Sturak

Mar 12, 12

Read from March 10 to 12, 2012

I won this book from librarything in exchange for an honest review.

This book stars two main characters, Trevor Malloy and Brian Boise, that we see in opposing chapters. Trevor Malloy is the more fascinating of the two-- here we get a picture of the ideal husband and father, who also is a cold-blooded killer. Brian, on the other hand, is an overworked policeman, who is endlessly nagged by his wife that he doesn't spend enough time with her and their son. The book chronicles both of their lives, their differences and similarities, and their inevitable meeting.

This book is overall elegantly written. I was drawn into the lives of both characters and was swiftly propelled through the action. The end packs a punch that makes the whole book worth it; and while I should have seen the signs, I was completely surprised and horrified (in a good way) by the ending. I loved the descriptions of Trevor's immaculate shoewear; it was well done.

The author has an odd turn of phrase occasionally, which was sometimes jarring. It's a stylistic preference more than anything else.

I really enjoyed this quick and worthy book! I already downloaded the author's first book, because I want to see what else he has up his sleeve.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Smudge of Gray.